Thursday, June 14, 2012

6/14/12

I've been reading like crazy! Since my last post, I've read:

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer - Michelle Hodkin, Before I Fall - Lauren Oliver, and Delirium - Lauren Oliver. There will be more to come, I assure you.  These were all pretty good, if you're into the 'teenage fiction' scene. (:

       

The first, ^^ is more of a sci-fi novel than anything. Nevertheless, I enjoyed it-- it was pretty weird...
Here is the description from amazon:
"Mara Dyer doesn't believe life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there. It can. She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her strangely unharmed. There is. She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love. She's wrong."

                                              The second ^^ really makes you think.
Here's the description:
"What if you had only one day to live? What would you do? Who would you kiss? And how far would you go to save your own life? Samantha Kingston has it all: the world's most crush-worthy boyfriend, three amazing best friends, and first pick of everything at Thomas Jefferson High—from the best table in the cafeteria to the choicest parking spot. Friday, February 12, should be just another day in her charmed life.
Instead, it turns out to be her last. Then she gets a second chance. Seven chances, in fact. Reliving her last day during one miraculous week, she will untangle the mystery surrounding her death—and discover the true value of everything she is in danger of losing."

                                                                                                     The third ^^
was reaaaaaally enlightening. Here's the description, again, from amazon:
"Ninety-five days, and then I’ll be safe. I wonder whether the procedure will hurt. I want to get it over with. It’s hard to be patient. It’s hard not to be afraid while I’m still uncured, though so far the deliria hasn’t touched me yet. Still, I worry. They say that in the old days, love drove people to madness. The deadliest of all deadly things: It kills you both when you have it and when you don’t."

If you didn't understand the idea behind the third book's description- have no fear. It took me until three chapters in to realize what the 'deliria' is. It's love. I found this great synopsis of the book on this blog: http://www.hippiesbeautyandbooksohmy.com/ 
Here it is:

"Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the government demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy. But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love."

How weird is that?!?  I found it very frustrating at the end, with the way it ends..... Until I realized that is is part of a trilogy. Ha. Oh well! I can't wait to read the second... and third!

I just started Divergent by Veronica Roth.
Here's the description from amazon:

"In Beatrice Prior’s dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can’t have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself. During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles alongside her fellow initiates to live out the choice they have made. Together they must undergo extreme physical tests of endurance and intense psychological simulations, some with devastating consequences. As initiation transforms them all, Tris must determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes exasperating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers unrest and growing conflict that threaten to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her."

I'll let you know how it goes-- I'm off to the library to return and check out some new books! (:


2 comments:

  1. You're reading like crazy this summer; that's SO awesome! You should devote a chunk of your blog to book reviews--write your own short articles about them :) That would be SWEET.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a very awesome idea! (:
    I'll see what I can do. :p

    ReplyDelete