In my freshman year, we did a lot writing. I loved it. I wrote this in Mrs. Helzer's class and whenever I lose touch with reality, reading it brings me back to earth. It's a wonderful thing. (:
I'm From the sound of pianos and harmonicas
streaming from the house on a Labor Day weekend.
I'm From the friendly, Indian land, where the
sunflowers and wildflowers grow without heed.
I'm From family sing-a-longs, Bob and Linda,
From the Merritts, and Lewis', From the Waldhelms.
I'm From Corgi-lovers, red haired, freckle faced children,
who NEED three popsicles at a time.
I'm From where your dreams originate from the designs
in the clouds, and the way the tall grass whistles
as the wind blows through it.
I'm From church on Sunday mornings, followed by
a calorie loaded, home cooked breakfast.
I'm From Denver, Ogallala, and Brule,
Germany, Scotland, and Ireland.
I'm From tornados in summer and five foot snowdrifts
in winter- where the weather can vary from 109 degrees
at noon, to 47 degrees in the middle of the night.
I'm From where you don't have to worry about being
hit by a car, or being shot by a troubled teen.
I'm From the summer nights that make your heart stop--
Where you can see every star in sight and the fireflies
beaming above the grass, and under the trees.
I am From traditional Christmas services, and waking up
at dawn trying to catch a view of Santa.
I'm From the books, and books of photo albums
strung about on the floor of my parent's closets.
I'm From antique furniture passed down through generations.
I'm From tall wheat and corn spread about to make a profit.
I'm From gigantic parkas and bulging
snow boots after a winter storm.
I'm From where all you need is love.
I'm From where all you need to have fun is a thirty-year-old vinyl
and a dance party in your pajamas.
I'm From Bob Dylan, The Beatles, The Beach Boys,
Led Zeppelin, The Drifters, and Pat Benetar.
I'm From where your beliefs come from your parent's.
I'm From being who I want to be,
because I know it's okay to be different.
No comments:
Post a Comment