Wednesday, May 2, 2012
I Remember
I remember when I wanted to be something. I remember the days when I used to dream about being a magician, or a rockstar, a dinosaur, or maybe even a lion... But most of all: a grown up. I remember looking up to grown ups and listening to them talk about the events of the day while I feverishly tried to soak up every word, so that I too could become like them. I remember when I would wear my mother's high heels because they boosted me three more inches into adulthood. I remember when I used to dress up in my parent's clothing and walk around with them dragging on the ground and catching all the toys I had left behind in my previous childhood life... And I remember looking in the mirror and seeing who I wanted to be. Life for me was about getting somewhere, anywhere. Somewhere I could ride all the roller coasters in the amusement park and drive a really big car and drink whatever adults drank after a long day... But now, as I am about to be thrust into adulthood, I look back and wish I could still wear my parent's clothes and watch them drag across the floor. I wish I could still look up to adults and believe that everything is going to be all right, because they of course, know everything; and I, young and ignorant, could only hope to be half as smart as them. But now I see a harsh, cynical place. I see ignorance, I see greed, and I see people as self-serving and sly. I now wish that I could grow up young, wild, and free.
Labels:
poetry
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment